Parks Day is meant to celebrate and demonstrate everything that Kananaskis has to offer, and it is an opportunity to educate/inform/entertain the public on a wide range of topics. Hands-on activities are always popular. Meaningful give-aways are good too.
Saturday, July 19
Pick mushrooms - Bow Valley and Kananaskis
==> Yes we can “Pick in the Park”. We have received special permits to allow us to pick in the Bow valley and Kananaskis Parks for this weekend only. You just have to be a part of our group. <==
- Forays start at 10:00am. We will be meeting in parking lot at Bow Valley Provincial Park interpretive center / Admin building. (It is across HWY 1x from the campground)
- 12:00 to 1:00pm - Bring your own picnic lunch.
- Can't make the morning foray? Afternoon forays will leave the interpretive center at 1:00pm.
- People can also pick on their own (except in the Park), if they prefer, and bring in mushrooms for the display on Sunday at the Park.
- We always need lots of help picking, so please do come out in force. The more we pick, the better the exhibit will be.
Sunday, July 20
Parks Day @ Willow Rock campground
- Public hours for the event are 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Bring in your own mushrooms for identification.
- 11:00am – Martin Osis will talk about the mushrooms found in the park and discuss the different groups of mushrooms, what makes them distinctive, and how to tell the individuals apart.
- Camping at Willow rock campground is first come first serve. So if anyone wants to camp they should get there as early as possible on Friday.
- Please see the map below for directions to Willow Rock campground.
Lunch and soft drinks are offered FREE to all participants and visitors.