Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
General questions, comments, and discussions relating to the Alberta Mycological Society.

TOPIC: Yard caps

Yard caps 8 months 2 weeks ago #3089

B) I’ve had these mushrooms in my yard each year and I’ve had them identified as edible by the uofc through my sister in law. It never hurts to double check. There is one chanterelle in the bunch, it is easier to verify, comes up a bit earlier than the light colored ones, and gets eaten quite often, I get close to a dozen each year and if I get them early enough the tops are firm and tasty. The others are more plentiful, I’d say I have 4 liters in that container. If there is any interest in them , they were picked today before I cut the lawn, I’m in nw Calgary and for the positive identification the mushrooms are yours .
C15BC5E2-1CD0-4E69-96C5-FEC117C4F30B.jpeg

07C73B77-40CF-4351-8985-7299F8F32AB6.jpeg
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Yard caps 8 months 2 weeks ago #3090

Oops same pic, here’s the other
CEA95858-B029-48E3-A7D9-25E9C997103C.jpeg

Yard caps 8 months 2 weeks ago #3091

• Martin Osis
  • Thank you received: 130
Sorry, not nearly enough info to even hazard a guess at even a genera. Spore colour, gill attachement, smells, etc....
The best way to say "Thank you" for our help is by becoming a paid member of our society...so... Click Here to Join The Alberta Mycological Society
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ken Palen

Yard caps 8 months 2 weeks ago #3092

Any place I can take them in Calgary for identification?

Yard caps 8 months 2 weeks ago #3093

What part of NW Calgary are you in? Someone may be able to check.
However, I don't see the chanterelle you mention, and it would be rather unusual to find one in Calgary.
Do you recall what the person at the U. of C. said they were...that would be helpful. Was the person a mycologist?

Yard caps 8 months 2 weeks ago #3094

• Martin Osis
  • Thank you received: 130
Christine is correct about the Chanterelle. If you found one it would be the first record of one ever in the Province. They do not grow here.
The best way to say "Thank you" for our help is by becoming a paid member of our society...so... Click Here to Join The Alberta Mycological Society
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ken Palen

Yard caps 8 months 2 weeks ago #3095

Thanks for the reply, one of them is distinctly orange, I had supposed it was chanterelle as I had been told it was edible and have eaten them, a fair number really. I live in edgemont, Edenstone more precisely. I’m glad I’m rechecking, I don’t want to make bad mushroom decisions.
Time to create page: 0.499 seconds