Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
General questions, comments, and discussions relating to the Alberta Mycological Society.

TOPIC: Mushroom Season & Best Locations

Mushroom Season & Best Locations 6 months 2 weeks ago #3124

Hi everyone,
I am new to Alberta and was wondering what the best times and areas in and around Edmonton are for mushroom collecting? I am from Germany and usually in September would always go mushroom collecting with my family there. I enjoy being outside in the fall and mushroom collecting is one of the things I would like to do here as well. In Germany I would usually collect Steinpilze (Boletus edulis), Maronen (Boletus badius), Rotfußröhrlinge (Xerocomellus), Ziegenlippe (Xerocomus subtomentosus) and Birkenpilze (Boletus scaber), to keep the list short. Not sure what their names are in English, so I included their Latin terms Wikipedia provided me with.
Cheers,
Stanley
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Mushroom Season & Best Locations 6 months 1 week ago #3130

• Martin Osis
  • Thank you received: 130
Since the seasons are different in Alberta, ours comes to an end usually in Septemeber. This snow should help as often frost and the extra moisture is good. Boletus edulis is a mid summer mushroom for us but not overly common. All the Scaber stalks are very common but the season is ending for them as well. The common mushrooms now will be Shaggy manes, Honey mushrooms, hedgehogs and Shaggy parasols, all these also grow in Europe, but maybe slightly different. Check out a feild guide from the Library. Have a look around and good luck.

For locations the Edmonton River valley and ravines are good, plus you can google Alberta Natural Areas, or Alberta Conservation Association and find a list of places to go.
The best way to say "Thank you" for our help is by becoming a paid member of our society...so... Click Here to Join The Alberta Mycological Society
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.442 seconds