Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Have questions about the fungi you found? Ask them here, and we'll do our best to help you out. But, please remember that we are a volunteer organization and there may be a delay on responses.

TOPIC: Another specimen from the Bragg Creek Foray

Another specimen from the Bragg Creek Foray 8 months 1 week ago #3128

• Jim
After going through Arora's keys in Mushrooms Demystified and other field guides and doing a number of google searches, I am thinking this one is a Hygrophorus, possibly either H. piceae or H. eburneus. Of course I could be totally off base. The cap is 4 cm in diameter; the stalk is 12 cm long and 1 cm thick. It was growing in moss in a pine / spruce forest. Unfortunately, it didn't provide a spore print when I tried to get one. Your thoughts as to what it might be would be much appreciated.
8918.jpg
Last Edit: 8 months 3 days ago by Barb Shworak.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Another specimen from the Bragg Creek Foray 8 months 1 week ago #3129

• Martin Osis
  • Thank you received: 130
There are a big group of white hygrophorus that are very difficult. Likely several of the same species have different names or a combination of older and newer names, some from newer publications others from older ones.

Some of the characteristics that need defining are; slimy cap or not, slimy stalk of not, whether they have any hues of yellow, exact host trees, colour of the gills in age (some stay all white, some turn slightly pinkish, some turn a bit beige or yellow.

So, because things like sliminess disappear, you usually need a good collection of several species in different stages to see these characters. If you google Pacific Northwest Key council, they have a fairly good Key though it is more focused on mushrooms from across the Alberta border and will have a bunch of mushrooms we don`t have but maybe not have all that we do have.

Finally, in the end, you do the best you can and pick the description the is closest and add a ``c.f.`` which basically means ``kinda or most like, but with a degree of uncertainty``. Hope that helps.
The best way to say "Thank you" for our help is by becoming a paid member of our society...so... Click Here to Join The Alberta Mycological Society

Another specimen from the Bragg Creek Foray 8 months 1 week ago #3131

• Jim
Thanks Martin,

Quite helpful. I'll check out the Pacific Northwest Key council.

cheers,
jim
Time to create page: 0.290 seconds