Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Have questions about the fungi you found? Ask them here, and we'll do our best to help you out. But, please remember that we are a volunteer organization and there may be a delay on responses.

TOPIC: lobster Mushroom?

lobster Mushroom? 2 years 8 months ago #2520

I found some of these growing in some campsites, usually along the edges of the grass and tree line. Couldn't find them anywhere else. I think they where old but wondering if they are found in better shape for tablefair? The last three photos is from one mushroom I probably could have kept to eat? 8 understand this is a parasite of other mushrooms and I am more curious if they always look to be in rough shape?

IMG_9479.jpg

IMG_9471.jpg

IMG_9472.jpg

IMG_9477.jpg

IMG_9478.jpg

IMG_9476.jpg
The administrator has disabled public write access.

lobster Mushroom? 2 years 8 months ago #2521

• AlexR
Yes, it's a lobster.

lobster Mushroom? 2 years 8 months ago #2522

• Martin Osis
  • Thank you received: 130
I have only seen them growing on Russula brevipes. This mushroom is a large funnel shaped mushroom. The hypomyces infecting it does misshape it. Also once infected they are very long lived in comparison to other mushrooms so are exposed to weather and bugs for a longer period. Picked about 40 pound last week.....
The best way to say "Thank you" for our help is by becoming a paid member of our society...so... Click Here to Join The Alberta Mycological Society

lobster Mushroom? 2 years 8 months ago #2524

• Martin Osis
I usually cut the rotten or frozen bits out.
The best way to say "Thank you" for our help is by becoming a paid member of our society...so... Click Here to Join The Alberta Mycological Society

lobster Mushroom? 2 years 8 months ago #2525

• Martin Osis
I usually cut the rotten or frozen bits out.
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds