Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Have questions about the fungi you found? Ask them here, and we'll do our best to help you out. But, please remember that we are a volunteer organization and there may be a delay on responses.

TOPIC: Assistance with ID

Assistance with ID 2 years 7 months ago #2534

Hi,
I know I don't have a spore print and I was unable to dissect the mushroom at all but it is growing inside my house which is still awaiting clean up after the fort Mcmurray wildfire.
I need to know any particular precautions needed to be around this mushroom.
Looking forward to having some information, thank you advance for your help!
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Assistance with ID 2 years 7 months ago #2535

Looks like an inky cap (black spore print is in the picture). You will need to take precautions for the ash you are cleaning (mask, gloves, etc.). The mushroom will not require further precautions as far as I know, but I am not a mycologist. Perhaps someone else will provide more information.

Assistance with ID 2 years 7 months ago #2536

Hi Douglas, those are definitely inky caps. They are non toxic. They should cause no harm to you by simply being around them.
I find it extremely interesting that you have gotten a fruiting body of mushrooms inside your house in such a rapid time span. I guess inky caps must be very quick at developing from spore to fruiting body. At any rate, you may want to get rid of them quickly as mushrooms like to spread in good growing conditions.

Assistance with ID 2 years 7 months ago #2537

• Martin Osis
  • Thank you received: 130
Yes indeed, an inky cap. This is a fungus that grows on wood, usually tree roots. As a home inspector my concern would be that there are high enough moisture levels inside your house that would allow the mycellium to grow plus have enough moisture to produce a fruiting body.

Unless of course, this is a slab on grade and the earth is directly under the area where the mushroom is fruiting. This type of occurrence is not uncommon as there are roots everywhere with associated fungal mycellium.

If the growth is actually happening on the wood structure, you have bigger problems. Start mitigating them by reducing the moisture in the area. Add heat, ventilation or dehumidification.

Keep us posted on how it's going.
The best way to say "Thank you" for our help is by becoming a paid member of our society...so... Click Here to Join The Alberta Mycological Society
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds