Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Have questions about the fungi you found? Ask them here, and we'll do our best to help you out. But, please remember that we are a volunteer organization and there may be a delay on responses.

TOPIC: does anyone know about morels in vancouver area?

does anyone know about morels in vancouver area? 2 years 1 week ago #2575

Hello fellow mushroom hunters
and kind regards.

I am going to Vancouver and I think there will be morels at the cut blocks or burn sites at this time.
Can anyone confirm...?
And also, there are no poplars there, what kind of forest or woodland would I search?

Any help would be appreciated.
thanks
Michael Cote
The administrator has disabled public write access.

does anyone know about morels in vancouver area? 2 years 1 day ago #2580

Hi Michael,

I'd check out the variety of habitats that are around in the area and see what's growing where. If the fire morels aren't growing in the disturbed areas, check the forests around whether they be evergreen or deciduous, in both moist and drier sites, and you might catch some Verpa's or other Morchella species.
The best way to say "Thank you" for our help is by becoming a paid member of our society...so... Click Here to Join The Alberta Mycological Society

does anyone know about morels in vancouver area? 1 year 11 months ago #2581

Thank you Michael

does anyone know about morels in vancouver area? 1 year 11 months ago #2582

• Martin Osis
  • Thank you received: 130
Paul Kroeger mentions that the Morels are up. You can also check around the big cottonwoods in river flats.
The best way to say "Thank you" for our help is by becoming a paid member of our society...so... Click Here to Join The Alberta Mycological Society

does anyone know about morels in vancouver area? 1 year 11 months ago #2583

Martin Osis wrote:
Paul Kroeger mentions that the Morels are up. You can also check around the big cottonwoods in river flats.
Would be very nice if Michael lets us know if he in fact finds any morels on the Island.

does anyone know about morels in vancouver area? 1 year 11 months ago #2585

who said anything about the island?

anyway the trip came and went with only a few hrs dedicated to picking mushrooms.
I drove west up the #1 towards squamish, and stopped at the cypress national park which winds up a mountain. I didn't search too extensively but found what seemed like an ideal site in the grass on the side of the road alongside cedar trees and I think some poplars with no luck, didn't bother to venture into the tall cedar woods...
also checked a disturbed site where they were building some new houses and found some little ornge mushrooms that looked like maybe poisonous gallerina so I didn't touch em

thanks for the pointers though everyone, I had so much fun I'm thinkin of going back next month, hopefully catch the end of the morel season.

does anyone know about morels in vancouver area? 1 year 11 months ago #2586

oh yeah
does anyone know an easy way to locate cut block and burnsite info
both in bc and alberta, ive spent an hour searching the internet for forest fire info in alberta with (if I remember correctly) only half helpful information to be found.

does anyone know about morels in vancouver area? 1 year 11 months ago #2587

ive also went directly to some forest management office hq something or other with the intent of purchasing a map, again turned away empty handed...

does anyone know about morels in vancouver area? 1 year 11 months ago #2606

I found a forest fire map I didn't have to download new google for
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Mike Cote.
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds