Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Have questions about the fungi you found? Ask them here, and we'll do our best to help you out. But, please remember that we are a volunteer organization and there may be a delay on responses.

TOPIC: Happy Spring Everyone

Happy Spring Everyone 1 year 11 months ago #2602

Is this a false morel and are they edible? I'm finding conflicting information.
falsemorel.jpg
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Happy Spring Everyone 1 year 11 months ago #2603

• Kevin O
  • Thank you received: 14
Yes this looks like an Early Morel. Verpa Bohemica. The bottom of the cap will not be attached to the stalk. Like a skirt.

As you have read already, edibility seems debatable. My family have eaten these for years with no effect. I have some in my fridge and will be tasting them tonight. As always, it is your body. You choose what goes in.

Happy Spring Everyone 1 year 11 months ago #2604

• Martin Osis
  • Thank you received: 130
Early Morel for sure. But if you can't tell the difference you need to do some more study... False morels look completely different and you should be able to identify them at a glance, like the difference between a cow and a sheep. The early morels and morels are more similar but should be easily identifiable as the early morels have a cap on a stalk and the morels form a hollow fruiting body.

Also all morels; early, false, black or yellow are poisonous if eaten raw. The false morels more so plus the fumes that come off them when cooking. Some of the false morels have gyromitrin which is a known carcinogen so probably best to avoid those though lots of folks still eat them.
The best way to say "Thank you" for our help is by becoming a paid member of our society...so... Click Here to Join The Alberta Mycological Society

Happy Spring Everyone 1 year 11 months ago #2605

ive eaten them - even cooked quite a bit (maybe half of a cup cooked)with noodles and vegetables- and felt pretty good after.
ive eaten them at least 5 times with no noticeable ill effects, nothing memorable about the taste though...
Time to create page: 0.312 seconds